Monday, August 25, 2008

Learning to Communicate

Oliver is a fun kid, but he's pretty weird. Not weird like a nerd or anything. He's really quirky and way too picky for a 21 month old. But don't get me wrong, he's super cute. 

He's doing a great job picking up new words and saying them. He does really good with the sign language that our wonderful friend, Dr. Baby Einstein teaches him. But I am always surprised when I get home on the weekends and he has learned a new word that I don't know about. 

One weekend, I came home and Nicole had somewhere to go, so I was watching Oliver during lunch. I opened the fridge to get his usual string cheese and raisins and he says, "Apple!" Then he opens the fruit drawer and pulls out a Washington Red and starts chomping away. I was astonished and proud of his new word. The way he ate it was so funny. He looked very similar to a chimpanzee eating an apple. Anyway, Oliver has had apples before, but we always cut them up before we gave them to him. So I took the apple, cut it into slices and put it on a napkin and gave it back to him. When he saw what I had done to his delicious snack, he screamed and cried and pushed it away. He walked back over to the fridge. I opened it up and he pulled out a new apple and started to eat it. 

Weird, right? A that moment I wished that he was fluent in English so that he could explain to me why it was such a problem that I had cut up his apple. Oh well. I took this picture of him munching his second apple.

No comments: